Monday, April 4, 2011

My Future in 20/20 Vision.

If we lived in a perfect world, my vision for the future would be to find a sugar daddy & spend my days shopping. Since this path in life is extremely impractical, I need to think of better alternatives.

From the film we watched in class, "the Power of Vision", the outlook I most agreed with is that of Viktor Frankl. He believed that the survivors of the Holocaust lived because there was something more they needed to accomplish, some type of responsibility, something more to do. This hope for the future provides inspiration for what is yet to come.

Right now, I am working at a commercial real estate insurance office by Rockefeller Center. I absolutely love the company and the people I work with. One plan for my future is to continue working with the company because I've already become familiar with their mission.  The problem is, I work for the Operations department & occasionally help in Accounting.  You see, my major is Graphic Communications which has absolutely nothing to do with my tasks within my work department.  If I continue to build my loyalties with my boss and the other managers, I would ideally like to switch over to the marketing department and help in developing the company website.

Another vision I have for myself, post-grad, would be to start up some type of website with a few of my friends.  Currently, I also work on the Lexicon (the school yearbook) as a Layout Editor. I am lucky to work with a talented team that knows the ins-and-outs of graphics, photography, websites, etc. We always talk about possibly starting an website that would provide a service to up & coming business owners who are looking to branch to the online world.  The need for internet knowledge will only keep growing as the years progress & I'm confident that myself and my friends would be able to keep up with the game.

I've always been interested in traveling the world and seeing other cultures. In high school, I went to Korea for a youth ambassador program where I met a lot different people in all types of professions. One person I spoke to was an American who has been living in Korea for the past two years as an English teacher. If I were to do the same, it would be a great way to make money, have some type of job experience/life experience, and I would be able to fulfill my dreams of living somewhere else other than New York for a bit.

My final vision for myself would be to go to graduate school in the Philippines.  I've looked into various schools but the one that caught my attention was De La Salle University in Manila where all of my family lives. I would want to continue learning arts and graphics, and if I enjoyed life there, I could possibly find a job in marketing or advertising.

These are all of the visions I have for life after Baruch. Though they seem like perfect ideas for me, they do require a lot of work and dedication. So until then, I'll keep my visions open and see how things play out...


8 comments:

  1. Your visions do not just seem perfect..they are because are your goals and you are the only person who can make it come true. I believe, if you want something you can achieve it. Living in an other country than US definetly would be a life experice, as is for me living here. You are lucky having a job you like. About sugar dady, you never know when he will show up:))...but better to concentrate on your own goals.Wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have some unique and interesting goals, particularly with going to graduate school in the Philippines. I hope you can change your major and graduate school works out for you. Do you have any idea what you would study there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have some interesting visions that can all come through. It takes hard work and dedication. You mentioned you like working at the company that you are currently in, but would like to work in the Marketing Department. You can put the tools we learnt in class into action (informal organization) and get to know people in the department and be willing to help out if you can, so that when you eventually transfer to that department you will be familiar with its operations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all your goals and you have a good vision of what you want to do and where you want to be. I hope that you can stay at your company and transfer departments after you get your degree. Another interesting thing you said was the foreign exchange that you did in high school. I did something similar except it was in Japan. Was the program sponsored by YFU?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like your goals and you have a nice vioson of what you want to do. Especially, i like third and final visons becasue those one are what i want to do. Actually, when i was in Korea, I thought i can not study in NY but i had a vision and i am studying in NY in now. I hope you can achieve your all goals becasue you have a nice vision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, I think you have a good idea about what you want to to in life and I particularly like your idea of one day wanting to go to grad school in the Philippines. I am also a big advocate of one pursuing education and believe one can never have enough of education. I wish you the best of luck and success :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your vision about living somewhere other than New York! Being a life time New York as well I feel the same way. It will be a great experience for you to spread your wings and fly somewhere new. I have a friend who lived in Taiwan and taught English for a few years. She had an amazing time and said it was the most incredible experience she has ever done. She met SOO many people all over the world who she still keeps in touch with today. Good luck with your travels!

    ReplyDelete